How Can Drycleaners Prepare for Hurricane Season?
With hurricane season upon us, it’s time to take the appropriate steps to ensure that you and your clients are protected. This means not only physically protecting the customers’ goods, but also financially protecting your business with the right Drycleaners Insurance policy should the property be damaged in a storm.
By taking the initiative to start planning early, drycleaners can create a plan that will have them fully prepared in the event of a disaster. Disaster preparedness is essential to securing the future of any dry cleaners’ business. In addition to staying informed and alert about weather updates, watches or warning, the following steps are guidelines offered by HurricaneSafety.org.
Protect the Property
- Install shutters or plywood to protect windows and doors from wind borne debris.
- Have the roof of your building inspected, or encourage a landlord to do so, to ensure it is able to withstand a storm.
- Remove any branches or trees adjacent to your building that could potentially fall and damage it.
- Sandbag any areas that are prone to flooding.
- If possible, remove or raise any items from the floor to prevent floodwater damage.
- Shut off the natural gas supply.
Protect Important Documents and Information
- Designate important contacts to save that are crucial to business operations, such as employee information, insurance information, tax information, customer receipts, etc.
- Store any important documents, information, or equipment that you can offsite.
Keep a Preparedness Checklist, Which Should Include:
- Battery operated radio or TV
- Non-perishable three day food supply for you and your employees, should you be unable to evacuate in time.
- Three day water supply.
- Blankets, pillows, cots, and chairs
- First aid kit and manual
- Electric generator
- Emergency contact information
Following the steps outlined above is an important part of drycleaner business management. According to HurricaneSafety.org, 40% of small businesses that close due to hurricane damage are not able to reopen. This statistic stresses the importance of not only planning for emergencies, but also having the right drycleaners insurance policy to financially protect the business after a disaster has occurred.
At Irving Weber Associates, we understand how important protecting your business is to your overall success. We offer laundry insurance programs such as the FabriCare Advantage that includes customized coverages, such as property insurance and more. This ensures that you are financially protected the best way possible, so that your business can continue to thrive. Please contact us today to learn more at (855) 764-7406.