Dry Cleaner Liability: What do Mystery Shoppers Look For?
In May of 2013, the Drycleaning & Laundry Institute (DLI) partnered with a Mystery Shopping program run by MarketWise Consulting Group. The purpose of this partnership, as noted by DLI CEO Mary Scalco, is to enable dry cleaners to learn from the mystery shopping experience in order to better improve their services. According to DLI, dry cleaners just never really know what their business looks and sounds like to their customer and potential customers, without these third-party and unbiased store visits.
Although dry cleaners should always employ good business practices and encourage exceptional customer service throughout their business, it may also help to understand the methodology that mystery shoppers use, in order to determine where dry cleaners should focus their customer service skills.
In general, mystery shoppers look for the following characteristics when determining the level of service.
- Employee to customer ratio
- How long it takes to be greeted, and if the greeting is friendly
- The name of the employees
- How employees answer questions
- The sales tactics used and/or information given
- Whether or not the employee made any helpful suggestions
- Whether or not the employee invited the shopper to come back to the store
- Cleanliness of the store and store associates
- Speed of service
- Compliance with company standards relating to service, store appearance, and grooming/presentation.
These are just some of the factors that mystery shoppers look for. Of course this may vary by dry cleaner business, especially if the dry cleaner has a specialization such as wedding dresses, heavy bedding, etc. Knowing what these factors are could also potentially help dry cleaners avoid a dry cleaner liability insurance claim.
At Irving Weber Associates, we understand how important good customer service is to your overall success. We offer laundry insurance programs such as the FabriCare Advantage that includes customized coverages, such as protecting customer goods on an unlimited basis. This ensures that you are financially protected the best way possible, so that your business can continue to thrive. Please contact us today to learn more at (855) 764-7406.